Just so you know, I finally got the server working so I can now work on the new site I want to do. I also want to tell you about the experience I had with my computer not to long ago.
I got the idea to exchange computers with my oldest son. His is actually better than mine and since I use mine more, figured it would be a good idea. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't that much difference. I went from a 1200 CPU to a 1300 CPU, just a little more ram, probably a better graphics card and a few extra USB plugs. Not really enough to matter. But I wanted to do it. Anyway, here's what happened. I exchanged harddrives as well. Mine had all my stuff on it and it's larger than the one he has. Well, if you've ever done something like this, you know that it's too much change for windows to handle, so I had to do a fresh install. Which means I lost everything on that drive including my pages for this site. Now thissite is designed to use a template, and for those that don't know what that means, I use one page to make design changes to the rest of them. Have you ever used one of these on a site before? I really like it like that. It makes all the pages look and act the same. Plus, all I can edit on the regular pages is where the content is. I don't run the chance of messing up the rest of the page since I have it like I want it, at least for now.
Anyway, I had to find a way to make a new template, and since I've never done it before, I had to learn pretty quick. For starters, I need to say that I use Macromedia's Dreamweaver to update my pages, even if you don't use this program, I don's see why this won't work on any html editing program. I did all kinds of searches on the net for lost template using Dreamweaver, and found one page that I thought might actually work. Nope. Don't get me wrong, I was glad I found it, it made me have to think about what I was doing, but all it did was make all my pages look like my index page.
Here's what I finally figured out to do. I took the code from a child page, which is what the pages are called that uses a template, and transfered it to notepad. Wherever I found Instance in the code, I changed to Template. I then transfered that code to a new page and saved it as the template for this site. It worked perfectly. I realize some of you may already know this stuff, but this is new to me and anytime I learn something new, I want to share what I've learned. Maybe it will help some one in the future. I hope this helps someone out there, but what I hope more is that no one has to go through what I did.
Have a great day and God bless.