Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Just to keep you up to date.

I'm glad you weren't at my house yesterday! You would not have like the way I reacted to this, and yes I'm about to tell you what happened. I was sitting on the couch waiting for the computer to finish running a program, out of habit, I looked up to see how far along it was and I noticed instead of the beautiful picture I usual have on there, there is this blue screen telling me that it had to do a memory dump. I'm praying none of you have ever had this happen! Anyway, about the time I realize that my computer is on the fritz, to put it mildly, I hear this loud thump from inside the tower and the computer shuts down. Since I put this thing together I figure it shouldn't be too hard to fix, right? Wrong!!! One of the clips had broken and the fan that keeps the cpu cooled off had fallen on top of my video card. Now, being the very intelligent person that I am, I decide to reach right in there and grab the fan. Don't ever do something like that!!!! That thing was so hot that I'm just now getting feeling back in one of my fingertips and it's been over 24 hours. That made me realize that I needed something else to pick it up with so I grab a pot holder from the kitchen and use it to remove the fan. Just so you know, the base the fan was attached to is metal. I told you I was intelligent! Because of this, I had to spend today trying to find a fan that would work with the prongs that I had left. Luckily I found one at a place in the next town. The gentleman that assisted me even went so far as to make sure my computer was still working after this fiasco. I was very blessed that all I lost was one of my ram sticks and the video card that was in there. Thank You Jesus!!! Things could have been so much worse. I have an AMD processor, and for those of you that don't know about this cpu, it has to have a fan to keep it from over heating.

Oh well, I'm just glad that things weren't worse than they were. I also learned several valuable lessons yesterday and today. 1) Don't touch metal when it's hot. (You would think that at the age of 39 I would have already know that one.) 2) Don't be afraid to ask an expert for help. 3) Always be willing to learn new things. The gentleman at Gigaparts was so helpful to me today I just had to let everyone know. He went out of his way to not only make sure my computer was working but made sure I understood what he was doing and why. I know that basically all he did was remove some parts but he didn't charge me for his time when he could have! He was so polite and helpful. Never once did he make me feel like a dunce. Some guys will jsut because I'm a female. He treated me with respect. Because of his attitude today, I know I'll go back to that store when I need different computer parts.

Anyway, that's it as far as my day went. I've got my computer up and running again. I even learned a few things about it that I didn't know.

I hope your day was better and pray that God watches over you.

No comments: